Monday, November 9, 2009

Stuffed Cauliflower



O.K I know my picture sucks! But trust me this is a really nice recipe. I got it from my Tarla Dalal cookbook. Its so easy and really tastes good. This has been sitting in my inbox for days. When I first saw the recipe I wasn't sure about it. But I was so bored of the usual fare that i went ahead and made it. Its a nice side dish and i'm sure next time I make it i can make it look much better than this. The picture in the book was really pretty. You essentially cook a whole caulifower, stuff it with a corriander coconut chutney, bake it and pour a slightly sweet tomato sauce over it before serving. Next time I might use some cheese too.

Ingredients
One whole head of a culiflower

Marinade:
One bunch of cilantro
2 green chillies
4 tblsp grated coconut (fresh or frozen)
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste

For Sauce
1 tblsp all purpose flour
1 tbslp butter
1 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 tsp chilly powder
salt and sugar to taste

Method:
Grind all the marinade ingredients together in a blender to a smooth paste.
Boil salted water. Remove leaves of whole cauliflower and add the whole cauliflower to boiling water. Cook till almost done but not too mushy that it will break on touch. Let it cool. Apply the corriander marinade all over and in between florets. Place it in the oven on warm for atleast 20 minutes. Prepare a roux-melt butter and add flour. Cook till bubbly and brown. Add the tomato ketchup and seasonings. Just before serving pour the sauce over the cauliflower, garnish with cooked peas or put some grated cheese on top and bake till melted. Makes a great side dish.

3 comments:

Anjali said...

Hi Naina...
I cannot even explain how I found you here. I was looking at what fellowships I could apply for my postdoc and landed on the LSRF page and looked at the list of recent fellows. There I saw Nitin and so looked him up. Then I remembered he is married to you and looked you up, and found this blog. Wow, look what my search for fellowships landed me in..I am a big foodie....and a big food blog follower. Will definitely try some of your recipes. Do you remember Deepti Thete from Garware? She also has a food blog..http://my-kitchens-aroma.blogspot.com/

BTW, if you wondering who I am--I was two years junior to you in Garware...Graduated last december and am now a postdoc in Boston...I can help you juggle your memory coz once Girija and me played badminton against you and Kanchan...

Sharmila said...

How did I miss this? Well .. I'll give that snap a skip ;-) ... but the dish sounds wonderful Naina! :-) Winter is here and so are fresh cauliflowers ... what say I give this a try? :-)
Hope you are doing well.

Naina said...

Hi Anjali so nice hearing from you after all these years. Wow that fellowship search sure did take you a long way. Do keep stopping by and i'll surely check out Deepti's blog.