Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bhindi Raita (deep fried okra in yogurt)


If something doesn't taste good, just deep fry it! My husband's love and my dislike for okra (aka bhindi in Hindi) has brought about trials of a number of different okra recipes. This recipe came back to me when I thought about deep frying okra. My mom makes this dish, but instead of deep frying, she adds a tblsp of oil to the okra and nukes it in the microwave till the okra becomes crispy (about 15 to 20 minutes, maybe longer).I took the faster (and cholesterol rich) route and deep fried in a lot of oil. A raita in Indian cooking is a yogurt salad, served as an accompaniment with food. The bhindi remains crispy as the yogurt is added at the very last minute before serving.

Ingredients

1 pound fresh okra, wash and dry individually, cut into rings


One large onion chopped
1 green chilly sliced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup plain yogurt
salt to taste

Deep fry okra till golden brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil. Add cilantro and onions to the okra and mix.

Just before eating, beat yogurt with salt and little bit of water. Add to fried okra. Serve immediately.

No comments: