Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Fried Pomfret Served with Mamma's Red Chilly Sauce



Pomfret is a very popular fish in south asia. I get it frozen in my Indian store. I have also seen it in our farmers market fish stand. This fried fish recipe is from my mom and aunt and I absolutely love it. Its a little more work than usual for the marinade but well worth it. It is important that the red chillies used in this recipe are mild, flavorful and not very hot. I usually freeze the marinated fish and then thaw and fry whenever I want to make it. My mom makes this really delicious chilly paste from the left over marinade. If you like spicy food, just mix this paste with rice and eat the fish with that,mmmmmmmmm totally amazing. Hope you like this one. I do.

Ingredients


Pomfret fish, cleaned and cut into slices



Dried red chilled (bedgi variety) 15, stems removed
Salt
juice of one lime
3 pods garlic
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbslp rice flour
More rice flour to coat fish

Grind chillies,turmeric garlic, salt,lemon juice, 1 tblsp rice flour to form a smooth paste. Add very very little water as needed to grind. Marinate fish with the paste for at least 30 minutes, better if overnight.
Coat fish pieces in rice flour and deep fry. Serve hot.





For the chilly sauce: Heat some of the oil used to fry the fish. Add the left over marinade from the fish, salt and lemon juice to the pot and cook it till the marinade no longer sticks to the pot. Serve with the fish.

No comments: