Thursday, February 14, 2008

Gobi (cabbage) Manchurian Golden Dragon Style



So this past super bowl weekend our friends had us over for dinner for the game and the food theme was Indian Chinese food. If you're not from India you're probably wondering what that is. In India, Chinese food is very popular and the recipes have been spiced up to suit the Indian taste. I absolutely love it and Chinese food in India is one of the first things I want to eat when I go back home.Well anyway my friend Amit made amazing chicken lollipops just like we get back home and I am currently pestering him to give me the recipe to post on my blog. So this reminded me of trying out Indian Chinese dishes. One of my other favorite dishes is gobi manchurian, a vegetarian version of chicken manchurian. I have made this dish many times before but it was never like what we get back home. There is this Chinese food shack called Golden Dragon right by my home in India and I wanted to make gobi manchurian just like that. I tried a variety of combinations and came up with this semi-homemade combination that tastes EXACTLY how Golden dragon served it. You need the two store bough sauces together to get it to taste just right. So here it is:

Ingredients


For the cabbage balls

Half a cabbage very finely chopped
2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
1 pinch baking soda
1 egg
water

For the sauce

3 scallions (spring onions) finely chopped
Half to one green pepper finely chopped
2 pods garlic chopped
one green chilly chopped
one packet knorr manchurian mix (you get this in Indian stores or ask someone from india to send it to you)
One bottle Chings secret manchurian sauce (again get it in Indian food stores)

Method

For the balls: Mix all ingredients together to form a sticky thick mixture. Make balls or drop spoonfuls into hot oil and fry till golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
For the sauce, heat oil, add garlic, scallions, chilly and the green pepper. Mix. Add knorr spice mix, 2 cups water, the whole bottle of Ching's manchurian sauce and mix well. Let it come to a boil. Add cabbage balls. Mix and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

Thanks for posting this recipe.

This is my wife's fav dish and used to eat it all the time when she was in Inida.

Here in the UK, we are finding it diffucult to get the sauces, any ideas where we might be able to get them?


Thanks...Deeya & Mahesh