Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sweet Corn Chicken Soup



I've made sweet corn chicken soup many times, but never this way. I found this recipe in my Chinese and Wok cooking book by Shirley Gill. Its quite different from the ones i've seen and it turned out really really good. So how did I come about making this soup? Well, my husband has this really horrible sore throat and wanted some hot soup. Looking in the pantry I saw the ingredients for a sweet corn soup so thats what I made. I just wanted to look up some more recipes instead of making my standard plain version and I came upon this recipe. The amounts I used are different from the book. For a vegetarian version just replace the meat with vegetables and marinate just the same. Replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth. Here it is--enjoy it on any cold day!



Ingredients

1 cup ground chicken
1 to 2 tsp thin soy sauce
a dash of sesame oil
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tblsp corn flour
One carton low sodium chicken broth
One can cream of corn
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 inch ginger crushed
1 tblsp oil
salt
pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
Scallion greens (1 stem) chopped (optional)

Method

Mix ground chicken with soy sauce, sesame oil, corn flour, salt and pepper. Keep aside for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pot or a wok. Add crushed ginger. Stir. Add chicken broth, corn kernels and can of creamed corn. Bring to a boil. Take a cup full of hot boiling soup and add to the chicken mixture. Mix and then add the chicken mixture to the rest of the soup in the pot. Stir continuously. Once the chicken cooks season with salt as needed. Then add the beaten egg in a thin stream very slowly stirring in a circuitous pattern. The egg should form threads. Serve hot garnished with chopped scallions or with a dash of soy sauce as I did.

No comments: