Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Corn Tortilla Chicken Roll


This recipe was inspired by our trip to California. My husband and I did a road trip from Northern California to LA and it was one amazing ride along route 1. We stopped along the way trying out different cuisines. The one dish that stuck out and we always remembered was from this little convenience store in Santa Barbara. The shop lady called it Carnitas (they made it with pork). When I described the dish to my Mexican friend, he thought it was something else. Anyways, I attempted to recreate this dish in my kitchen and it came out just like the one we had. My husband was so amazed he asked me to post it on my blog right away. So here it is: my corn tortilla chicken roll.

Ingredients

Corn tortillas
three chicken thighs or breasts, cooked and cut into chunks
One large onion chopped
One medium onion sliced
Cilantro, fresh sprigs
Three large tomatoes
Two pods garlic
3 tblsp Knorr green chilly sauce
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp McCormick Fajita seasoning
Oil
Salt to taste

Grind together tomatoes, one pod garlic and chilly sauce to form a paste. Heat oil in a pot with one pod garlic added to the oil as it heats. Remove garlic, add one large onion chopped. Fry till onions turn transparent. Add tomato mixture, salt, spices and seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook till most of the water dries up.


Heat a pan. Heat each corn tortilla till it is hot and flexible. Add chicken mixture. Add sliced onions and 5 to 6 sprigs of cilantro. Roll up and eat! This recipe cannot be made without the cilantro, the flavor of cilantro is essential for the final taste.

No comments: