Saturday, March 22, 2008

Paneer Bhurji (Scrambled Indian cheese)



You know how the task of deciding what to make for dinner is more tiresome than actually making it. I have been using a devious plan to circumvent that issue. Every day after work as I'm heading home I call my sister up to check how her day went. Then I ask her what she's making for dinner (ha ha!!). If it suits me and I have the ingredients I go home and make whatever she came up with. Saved myself all that time staring into my refrigerator deciding what to whip up. This recipe here came about after Preeti told me she's making Paneer bhurji. I realised I have this big block of paneer at home myself--yay !! So here it is, my version of paneer bhurji. Bhurji usually defines indian scrambled eggs but this is the vegetarian version of it. Paneer is a type of indian cheese (the only type we have I think) and in this recipe its grated into a consistency like minced meat and scrambled with a onion and tomato mixture.

Ingredients (Serves 2-3)

1/2 block of paneer gratedOne onion chopped
One tomato chopped
1 tsp tomato paste
half a green pepper finely chopped
1 pod garlic chopped
1 green chilly slit
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilly powder
2 tsp garam masala
oil
salt to taste
chopped cilantro 1 tbslp

Method
Heat oil. Add green chilly. Add oions and fry till golden. Add garlic, tomato and spices. Fry well for 5 minutes. Add salt and green pepper. Cook for another couple of minutes.

Add paneer and tomato paste. Scramble all ingredients well together. Cook for a few more minutes. Serve garnished with corriander and eat with hot chapatis/phulkas.


No comments: