Thursday, May 15, 2008

Banana Toffee Pie




I know I know my blogging is reduced to a slow crawl. Its just that with my in-laws in town, I hardly have to cook on weekdays and the weekends are spent frolicking about so I have no time to try out all these recipes I want to. Today is my in-laws' 33rd anniversary...33 years can you believe that!! Wow! Well I wanted to make a vegetarian dessert for them and I was looking high and low. I found this recipe in a number of blogs namely here and at aayis recipes. So I tried it and it was really easy (although the boiling of the condensed milk takes time). Here it is.

Ingredients
Graham crackers-1 Box, I used 4 cracker packets makes 1 1/2 cups of crumbs
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
1 14 oz can of condensed milk
Large pot of water
3-4 large bananas
Whipped cream

Method
Boil water in a large pot. Place the condensed milk can in the water such that the can is completely immersed in the water. DO NOT let the water dry up above the can or it will explode. Boil the can for 2 hours. Remove and keep aside. The condensed milk will turn into brown caramel and can be stored unopened in your pantry. Meanwhile crush the graham crackers in the food processor into fine crumbs. Remove. Add butter to the crumbs and mix well. Add crumbs into a pie dish (I used a cake pan) and press down. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. Alternatively just buy a pre made graham cracker pie crust from the grocery store.

Meanwhile peel and slice bananas into evenly thick rounds. Place onto graham cracker crust in a nice layered pattern.

Pour over the caramelized condensed milk.

Refrigerate covered with saran wrap for 2-3 hours. Add whipped cream just before serving.

4 comments:

ranji said...

Simply Suppppperrrrrrrrb!!!!:)

Mansi said...

that's a great pairing! bananas offset the toffee quite well:)

Suganya said...

Hi...
That was some nice pie recipe.... The toffee looks so YUM!>>>>

Andhra Flavors said...

looks tempting...must try it...