Sunday, June 29, 2008

Peanut Noodles with Tofu




I have recently developed a new found love for tofu. I never really cared for it until I ate a dish at this thai restaurant and loved it. Tofu also turns out to be a great substitute to be used in konkani cooking. How can that be right? Well konkani food uses a lot of coconut. If you have heart or cholesterol issues substitute shredded coconut for shredded tofu and it works like wonders. Great tip huh? So coming back to my love for tofu, I bought some extra firm tofu and then stared at the package for a few minutes wondering what I should use it for. In the end I made these noodles. The ingredients came up on the fly. It was a mix and match of pad thai ingredients and some random ingredients I threw in to get the taste I was looking for. I used egg noodles but any type of noodles should be fine.

Ingredients (serves 2)

One package egg noodles
One package extra firm tofu, cut into pieces
2 eggs, beaten
Green onions-2, chopped
1 heaped tsp chopped garlic
2 -3 tbslp crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp tamarind
1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
1 tblsp sriracha hot chilly sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
crushed peanuts
chopped cilantro
lime
Oil

Method

Pan fry tofu pieces till lightly browned on both sides. Also, prepare a flat omelette of the beaten eggs. Keep both aside. Boil water in a pot. Add egg noodles and cook according to package instructions. Meanwhile heat a generous amount of oil in a wok till the oil is very hot. Add garlic, green onions. Working quickly add all the sauces and peanut butter. Fry for a few seconds until well mixed. Immediately add the noodles, tofu and egg. Mix well and fast till all the sauce is incorporated into the noodles. Serve sprinkled with chopped peanuts, cilantro and a splash of lime.

No comments: