Monday, December 15, 2008

Crab Curry




What a hectic weekend this was!! I finally got all my Christmas shopping done. It was a lot easier than last year. I can't wait to go home to Boston and see my mom, my sister, my aunts and uncles. My cousin is getting married on Jan 3rd so i'm super excited about the whole wedding fun and I had to finish my shopping today. Plus I had to do the week's grocery so that i don't have to worry about dinner during the week. The grocery store this weekend was packed. I guess people are busy shopping for the holiday season...didn't seem like a recession is on there. Well the good news was that Dungeness crab was on sale for just 2.99 a pound! I love crab but i've never made it before. My mom or aunt always made it for me. My husband and i soooo badly wanted to eat crab that I decided to dive right in and do this right. The store guy even cleaned and cut the crab for me. At the end of the meal we looked at each other and gave this really satisfied smile...it was really worth it! I personally believe that crab curry should be eaten a day later, it tastes so much better. let me warn you,eating crab can be a bit messy (and that too a crab curry can be double messy) but I think that's the fun part. Just get a big napkin and dig right in.

Ingredients (Serves 2)

Dungeness crab -1 to 2 pounds
One large onion
1 cup cilantro leaves
1 cup grated coconut (buy store bought frozen)
1 pod garlic
1 large piece of ginger
3 green chillies
1 large tomato
curry leaves 5-6
1 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
lime juice

Method
Grind together the ginger, garlic, green chillies, cilantro and coconut with a little bit of warm water. Heat oil in a pot. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves. When mustard seeds sputter add onions and fry till golden brown. Add ground coconut mixture and chopped tomatoes. Cook till the oil releases from the mixture.

Add salt. Add in the cleaned and cut up crab.

Cover and cook on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve over steamed rice with lime juice.

2 comments:

Sheetal Kiran said...

The crab curry looks so, so yum Naina! Drool!!

Sharmila said...

Lucky you! It is the cleaning/cutting part that has kept me off crabs forever ... depend on my visits home for it. That plateful looks so tempting .. wish I could dig into it. Sounds like you are having fun. Have a great time. :-)