Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Konkani style okra (aka "bhenda hulli")


I am not a big fan of okra. My husband on the other hand loves it. I try to make it often, trying new recipes every time. I am in search of a recipe that I hope might change my opinion about this vegetable. This one is a classic Sarasawat recipe. My mom made this at home often for my dad and he loved the fried garlic in this dish.

Okra/ladyfinger/bhindi, wash, dry well and cut into medium sized pieces--about 3 cups
5-6 dry red chillies (bedgi style: gives color and flavor more than heat)
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek/methi seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 cup shredded coconut
11/2 tsp tamarind paste ( I useTamicon)
5 to 6 cloves garlic, pound to break slightly (with skin on)
salt to taste

In 1 tblsp oil fry chillies and dry spices. Add to shredded coconut. Add ½ cup hot water and grind to a smooth paste.

Meanwhile, in a pan heat 1 tblsp oil. Add okra, salt and tamarind paste. Cook till okra is almost ready. Add ground paste, cook for 5 more minutes. Add water to make a thick gravy and bring to a boil. In ½ tblsp oil fry garlic and add to boiling okra mixture. Cover immediately.

No comments: